Providing Training & Regulation

01424 883300 - enq@fpws.org.uk

Born from a need for Support & Education


 Mediation & Boundaries



Raising Industry Standards



Raising Public Awareness


Our Mission

In 1997 the Government introduced party wall legislation across the whole of England & Wales in the form of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. The Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors was born out of a need for education and support for building surveyors and other professionals, but also to enhance awareness and provide advice and guidance to the general public.

Does the  Party Wall etc. Act 1996 affect me?


Work on an existing wall, ceiling or floor structure shared with another property?

● Building on or at the boundary with another property?

● Excavating near a neighbouring building or structure?

If so you must find out whether the work falls within the scope of the Act. If it does you must serve the statutory notice on all those defined in the Act as ‘adjoining owners’.  

Determining if a particular building project is within the scope of the Act is often more complex than simply checking the general criteria stated above. Failure to correctly identify the status of your project  could result in the building works being unlawful. If you are in any doubt you should always seek professional advice.  

It's the law

Failure to comply with this legislation may result in the works being unlawful. If you are unsure you should seek professional advice.

How We Can Help

Building and Adjoining Owners

For Building Owners and Adjoining Owners, we offer advice and access to one of our professional members located across England and Wales. All our accredited members have been screened and interviewed to ensure they have the expertise in Party Wall Matters and the Party Wall Act 1996 to meet the exacting standards required for membership of the Faculty. 

This site contains lots of useful information to help you understand the Act and your obligations, to ensure your building works comply with legal requirements. Below you will find some links to help answer the more common queries homeowners have.

Construction Professionals

For Construction Professionals with an interest in Party Wall matters, we can offer an accredited professional membership bringing training, advice and a host of membership benefits, along with it.

For further details about becoming a member and to download an application form please see the Join Us page.

If you would prefer to contact us directly to discuss membership further please call or email us, we will be happy to answer you queries.

Do You Have Any Questions?

The following may help, but please contact us if you need any further assistance.

I am a building owner/adjoining owner, and I am not sure where to start.
  1. For a general overview please see our – Party Wall Act Overview.  
  2. For answers to commonly asked questions please see – FAQs.
  3. If you are still unsure or would just like to talk to someone, then please try our advice line or you can contact us or one of our members

I have an understanding of the Party Wall Act. But I have a more specific/technical question.
  1. Please first check our FAQs page, as the question may have been raised before.
  2. For more detailed technical advice please use our advice line or contact one of our members directly. To find members in your area use our Find A Surveyor page. Alternatively, you may call the Faculty, who can advise as to your closest member. Note the Faculty  administration cannot give specific technical or legal advice.  

I have a boundary/mediation query
  1. A number of our members are qualified to advise on boundary matters. We also have  qualified Mediators. If you have a requirement for either, then please call the Faculty, who can advise as to the nearest member who can assist you.

I am a Surveyor who would like to find out more about FPWS membership.

Please see our Join Us page for further details. Alternatively, you can contact the faculty and we will be happy to answer your questions. 

Where can I find details about local forums and other events.

Details of all our events can be found on the Events page.

What should I do if I have a complaint about one of your members or advice given?

 We take the standards of our membership and the quality of advice given very seriously .  If you are not happy with the quality of service  received .  Then please contact the Faculty  as we have processes in place to  review  and when necessary  invoke disciplinary procedures.  

Member Profile Highlight

Kyson Building Consultancy
Contact Details:
T:  0208 593 9506
M: 07850330567
W: http://www.partywall.company
26 Northfield Road
Essex RM9 5UR

Lee Kyson - FPWS member


The Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors has members across England & Wales. Use our search facility to find your nearest member.

Search by Postcode click here